Thursday, December 4, 2008

Sequel-Fest 2008: Part One

Being in Portland means getting to hang out with my friend Maggie, and hanging out with Maggie means (among other things) cheesy girl movies (or movies starring Snoop Dogg) and espresso milkshakes... Brandon will be joining us for Sequel-Fest as well, since he secretly loves these movies (even if he pretends he doesn't)...

Because themes make everything better, we decided to hold Sequel-Fest 2008 on this visit, which we determined will have to extend over a couple nights since neither of us has 8 hours free to devote to watching cheesy movies in one sitting... For Part One we went with Step Up 2: The Streets and Center Stage 2: Turn It Up, both of which made us long for the originals a bit but were entertaining in their own right... (And, yes, I've already seen both of these a few times, but Maggie hadn't and I enjoy repetition, so it all works out...)
Step Up 2 starts incredibly slowly, due in large part to the fact that neither of the leads can really carry a movie, but once Moose (above) is introduced things start looking up. I can't wait for Step Up 3-D (coming in 2010), which may in fact be a Moose star vehicle judging by the fact that he's been out promoting it. That would so totally rock. Center Stage 2, on the other hand, doesn't have anyone as hilariously adorable as Moose, but it does have the more traditionally adorable Tommy (below) with his Boston accent and his quest for the fire. (Fire, of course, being a 2-syllable word when he says it.) I love me some adorable Boston accents... which I guess makes it convenient that I'm moving to Boston...
To make sure we could stay awake for the entirety of Center Stage 2 (we are old ladies and would be watching until past my bedtime) we made the traditional Maggie & Emily movie-watching beverage: Espresso Milkshakes. We'd experimented with these a few times in the past (I think it's been several years...), but this was our best batch ever. Mmm... Coffee...
For Sequel-Fest 2008: Part Two, we'll be checking out Another Cinderella Story (which I haven't seen yet) and Bring it On 3: All or Nothing. So very very awesome... I think we're also going to have to hold a screening of Take the Lead (starring Antonio Banderas!) and The Clique (produced by Tyra Banks!) at some point before I head out... Who knows how long it will be in Boston before I meet people who share my taste for cheesiness and caffeine? I have to take advantage of having such awesome people around while I can...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am sad about your back, can we reschedule part dux for tuesday? perhaps your back will be better by then....