Friday, December 5, 2008

Trashy Mexican Food in Portland...

So, being in Portland also means getting to hang out with Max and Midge. We got together for some trashy Mexican food last night and decided to try Taqueria La Sirenita thanks to a recommendation from Stanley. This is by far the best trashy Mexican food I've had in Portland, but I'm a bit torn as to whether it can beat out Super Cuca's for the top place in my heart...

After we'd ordered our main meals, we decided to also order some chips and salsa. The woman at the counter asked if we wanted them "with everything else on them" (how do you say no to that?) so we ended up with what was essentially a non-melty plate of nachos (below). While we waited for our orders we also explored the condiment tray, which featured some totally awesome grilled onions (and by "grilled" I mean "cooked in lots of grease on the griddle") and some interesting pickles and hot sauces.
For my dinner I went with the Carnitas Plate (below) so that I could make a direct comparison to the Carnitas Super Plate at Super Cuca's. I found that the Carnitas itself is vastly superior at La Sirenita, but that I prefer the overall construction of the Super Plate at Super Cuca's (where I think there's a perfect balance of rice, beans, cheese, and pico de gallo). The homemade tortillas at Super Cuca's are also more impressive than the tortillas we had here... but, damn... That was some good Carnitas. I think I will still have to do some exploring in Portland to see if I can find a trashy Mexican joint that can best Super Cuca's, but I am glad to have tried La Sirenita...
After dinner it was only 8pm, so we decided to grab a beer at Kennedy School before calling it a night. We decided to check out a new bar in the building called The Boiler Room (which was formerly a storage space and, as the name suggests, a boiler room), and it turned out to be one of the more awesome bar spaces I've seen in Portland. (Check out the photo gallery in the link above to get a better idea of the space, but picture it being darker...) There are pool tables as well as shuffle board, but it also has just a really cool bar space and restaurant seating. Kennedy School was in serious need of a bigger bar (with lines into the hall of people trying to squeeze into the Cyprus Room on the weekends), and this place fills that need while also being totally pimp. Nicely done, McMenamins.
I'm leaving this afternoon for a week at the Oregon Coast (staying in Lincoln City at what was probably my favorite place to stay at the beach when I was a kid), which should be really nice... I'm hoping for rain storms, which the Oregon Coast usually has no trouble delivering at this time of year.

2 comments:

Max Power said...

The mexican food was tasty, but both Midge and myself got wicked stomachaches when we got home from all the grease. I'm convinced there are better greasy Mexican spoons in town, but this place was good for the price.

As far as Kennedy School goes, I agree that the new bar kicks serious ass. I've been going to that place for ten years, and have long said it needs a better bar space than the Cypress Room. I was really impressed, and may make the trip to Northeast more often.

Stanley said...

Personally, I'm a chimichanga man. I judge my greasy Mexican foods primarily on this basis. Serenita has a solid offering.