Monday, July 27, 2009

Strike One.

(Apologies for the use of terminology from such a stupid sport...)
One more quick update (and the last medical thing I'll be posting about until my next surgery, since that's not what I want this space to be about): News today was not good. For whatever reason, the lead in my spine did not end up positioned such that it can provide symmetric pain relief. The short term solution is to wait for things to heal and hope that the lead (magically) shifts a bit closer to the right location as it scars into place. The long term solution involves a more invasive surgery with bigger, better cyborg parts, using what we've learned from the position of the current lead to make sure we get things right. Apparently this is just the way these things go sometimes... The trial stimulator worked so well that I maybe had my hopes a little too high, which leads to being pretty frustrated now that it feels like this whole fiasco was for nothing. In summary: right now I'm right where I was before Thursday, except that I now have a large soon-to-be-scar on my back and can no longer go through metal detectors. On that note, I will leave you with this "crying bunny," who always makes me smile when I'm feeling blue:

No comments: