Thursday, March 4, 2010

Everyday Yumminess: Spicy Peanut Noodles with Chicken

Another quick post about one of my favorite meals to cook when I don't have the time or energy for something "fancy," (or when I'm recovering from spinal surgery and don't want my mom to have to do everything for me... since this is something I could help prep...). This is a dish that fell out of my repertoire for a while because it wasn't particularly healthy (due to how much peanut butter was needed to make enough sauce for it to be truly delicious), but which came back into play when I discovered one of the more amazing products around: Powdered Peanut Butter.
The good people at Bell Plantation make both kick-ass powdered peanut butter and the most amazing peanut oil you will ever taste. They do this by roasting peanuts, then squeezing out the oil. This leaves them with peanut powder and the amazing oil they squeezed out. The entire jar, which makes one and three quarters cups peanut butter, contains 28 grams of fat, the same amount as you'd find in 3.5 tablespoons of peanut butter. This means you can make a double-batch of sauce containing only 6 grams of fat, when a single batch (not nearly enough to deal with the quantity of veggies I add) contains 48 grams. I'm not obsessed (anymore) with making super-healthy food, but I love having a great-tasting way to make this dish on a regular basis rather than saving it for times when I'm feeling dangerously under-weight...
The veggies include red bell peppers, grated carrots, scallions, and cilantro.
The dish also contains grilled chicken breasts and a sauce of soy sauce, rice vinegar, chile-garlic sauce, ginger, brown sugar, and peanut butter (or peanut butter powder).Toss it all together, let it sit in the fridge for a few hours (or overnight) for the flavors to come together...
and call it lunch. Yummy!

No comments: