Saturday, November 27, 2010

Post-Thanksgiving Sandwiches

If it weren't for Turkey Pozole and the brilliance of Turkey, Cranberry, Arugula, and Brie Sandwiches, I don't know that I'd bother making Thanksgiving dinner. For me, this is what it's all about:
I switched things up in a couple ways this year. The first change was an experiment with sweet potato oven fries. I cut them into large matchsticks, tossed with olive oil, minced garlic, minced rosemary, and a little finely grated parmesan, then threw them on a rack in a 425°F (toaster) oven for about 35 minutes...
I think next time I'll put them right on the baking sheet and may cook a little longer, but they were damned tasty. These may also turn out better if I could use my oven instead of my toaster oven... Sigh. Last year I baked some rosemary focaccia for my sandwiches, but with my broken oven and my exhaustion, I decided to just pick up a loaf of rustic bread while getting pozole ingredients and dressed it up by brushing with the garlic-rosemary oil generated above before toasting. I also decided to use my meat slicer on some leftover turkey breast meat for the sandwich (rather than slicing thicker pieces with a knife).
This was brilliant, and definitely improved the texture of the sandwich.
Mmm... Turkey sandwich... Yay, Thanksgiving!

No comments: