Monday, March 14, 2011

Everyday Yumminess: Grilled Chicken with Lemon Fregula

I'm on a mission to start using the cool ingredients in my pantry rather than just looking at them. This weekend the pantry item I decided to play with was fregula, a toasted Sardinian pasta. Turns out it's absolutely delicious...The star of the show was the fregula. I used the "medium" size, but I also have a smaller version at my disposal.This is basically a modification on a Donna Hay recipe. You just melt some (Amish) butter in a skillet, then add yummy things (in this case sage, almonds, capers, and lemon zest) and cook until things like almonds start to brown and the room smells amazing.The fregula is cooked in boiling water and drained...
... and is then added to the skillet to be tossed with the yumminess you've been building there.
Chicken is tossed on the grill along with some lemon halves...
Slice the chicken, and you're good to go. Easy as that. I've been making this dish with couscous for years, and it's always delicious, but the toasty fregula is absolutely fantastic.
I thoroughly enjoyed this meal, especially given how ridiculously easy it is to make. It somehow manages to be light and refreshing while at the same time feeling totally comforting. I'm definitely going to have to stock up on fergula and use it more in the future. Yay for new ingredients!

No comments: